Madrid is …
- The capital city of Spain and the fourth most-visited city in Europe.
- The 6th biggest city in the UEFA region, with a populace of around three million.
- First alluded to in the medieval times as ‘Magerit’ – signifying ‘spot of copious water’ in Arabic.
- The origin of Plácido Domingo, Julio and Enrique Iglesias, Fernando Verdasco, Penélope Cruz, and Raúl González.
- Twinned with Abu Dhabi, Melbourne, New York, Rabat, and Tripoli, among others.
- The second city to have its fifth European Container last after London, the Santiago Bernabéu having organized the match in 1957, 1969, 1980 and 2010.
Where is it
On the Waterway Manzanares, amidst Spain, Madrid is the biggest city in the Iberian landmass. It is barely short of 3,000km from last season’s final venue, Kyiv, and around 2,750km from the 2020 last host city, Istanbul.
Estadio Metropolitano (Club Atlético de Madrid)
Estadio Metropolitano is the home of Atlético Madrid
- The recently reproduced arena supplanted the Vicente Calderón as home of three-time UEFA Europa League victors Atlético Madrid.
- It is named to pay tribute to the first Estadio Metropolitano – Atlético’s home until 1966.
- It opened to general society on 16 September 2017 when Atlético confronted Málaga in the Liga; Antoine Griezmann scored the arena’s first objective in a 1-0 home win.
- Situated on the Avenida Luis Aragonés (named to pay tribute to Spain’s UEFA EURO 2008-winning mentor), it has a capacity of around 68,000.
- Worked in view of natural concerns, the arena’s Driven lighting and sun powered boards lessen vitality utilization, while reused water floods the pitch.
- Situated in the north-east of Madrid, it is effectively come to on tram line seven (station: Estadio Metropolitano).
Getting to and around Madrid
The occupied Madrid– Barajas air terminal isn’t a long way from the Estadio Metropolitano, while the city is likewise served by fantastic fast rail administration, and has great street connects to France and Portugal. A noteworthy suburbanite center, it likewise has a very much created nearby transport arrange, with a broad metro framework and transports guaranteeing that it tends to be effectively explored without a vehicle.
Where to remain
A noteworthy business and the travel industry center point, Madrid has convenience alternatives for all financial plans, from lavish lodgings to fundamental inns. See Valuable Connections underneath.
What to see
For culture: The Paseo del Arte (Workmanship Walk) interfaces three of the world’s most noteworthy galleries: the Prado, the Thyssen-Bornemisza, and the Reina Sofia, while the city’s Planetarium and Science Gallery are prescribed as well.
For the environment: The Puerta del Sol and the focal Court City hall leader give an incredible kind of Madrid’s notable glory, alongside the immense Royal Castle – which remains close by the Campo del Moro and Sabatini Patio nurseries.
For natural air: Madrid has a lot of green space, with the focal El Retiro Park flaunting staggering structures as well. Madrid Río on the banks of the Manzanares is incredible to visit with kids, while the city’s zoo is in the roomy Casa de Campo.
Eating and drinking
Madrid has a confounding number of eating alternatives, with a lot of neighborhood top picks to attempt, not least a Cocido Madrileño (Madrid stew) including vegetable, chickpeas, pork, and chorizo hotdog. Bocadillo de calamares (browned squid sandwich) might be the keynote nibble nourishment, while veggie lovers can appreciate tortilla (Spanish omelet) and sweet churros con chocolate. Brew and tinto de verano (summer wine) are shabby and invigorating. Pay special mind to the Menu del Día at neighborhood eateries – a full set lunch, for the most part, evaluated at €10-15 which will set fans up for the entire day.
Football in the city
Supporters of Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid make up over the portion of the majority of Spain’s football fans, and the two are mammoths in European terms as well. Real Madrid began the 2018/19 season having won 33 Spanish titles, and 19 Spanish Mugs notwithstanding 13 UEFA Victors League/European Glass titles and two UEFA Containers. Atlético’s accomplishments are nearly as relentless: ten league titles and Spanish Glasses, in addition to a Container Champs’ Container and three releases of the UEFA Europa League. A lot of different clubs play in the city (Getafe, Rayo Vallecano, and Leganés are in the best flight as well), yet there is just a single Madrid derby that the world discussions about.
Escape the city
Around 40km from Madrid, Aranjuez is the place the Spanish royal family customarily spend the spring and flaunts a royal residence, a memorable focus, and brilliant greenery enclosures. Those wishing to tilt at windmills may lean toward a trek to Alcala de Henares, the origination of Wear Quixote-writer Miguel de Cervantes; the essayist’s previous home is presently an exhibition hall. The Royal Site Of San Lorenzo de El Escorial is another overwhelming castle, additionally inside an hour’s train adventure of the capital.
MATCH DATES (AEST)
Quarter-finals 1st Leg: April 10 and 11
Quarter-finals 2nd Leg: April 18 and 18
Semi-finals 1st Leg: May 1 and 2
Semi-finals 2nd Leg: May 8 and 9
Final: June 2 at Estadio Wanda Metropolitano in Madrid, Spain
- Final: 21:00CET, Saturday 1 June
- Ticket details will appear here
- Sign up to our newsletter for ticket updates
- Visit Madrid
- Lonely Planet
- Estadio Metropolitano
- Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF)
- Free Online Live Streaming